Sugar cravings can be frustrating, especially when they refuse to go away! But eating sour foods is a surefire way to get rid of these. This is everything you should eat.
The fun of a late night movie in bed is taken to a whole new level when you pair it with a sinful chocolate cake! Right? Of course, the next morning you’ll feel guilty when you step on the scale. Well, if you regularly find yourself plagued by these pesky sugar cravings and are looking for a healthy way to satisfy yourself, then we got you! One of the best ways to overcome sugar cravings is to eat sour foods!
What are sugar cravings and why do they happen?
Despite having a filling meal or having unlimited distraction techniques, the urge to reach for that chocolate bar can be annoying! Garima Goyal, nutritionist, says: People with such cravings will find it difficult to control themselves with food, no matter how full they are! Sugar cravings lead to overeating and binge eating, thus increasing your total calorie intake. She tells us why we have these cravings.
- Low blood sugar levels: A common mechanism associated with sugar cravings is an imbalance in blood sugar levels in the body. Low blood sugar signals the brain to eat something sweet to compensate for this decline.
- Emotional connection: Eating sweets helps release feel-good neurotransmitters called serotonin and endorphins in the body, both of which are known as feel-good chemicals. Therefore, eating sweets helps a person feel good and aids in reducing depression and anxiety. Eating sweets is a natural way to self-treat depression.
- Magnesium deficiency: Sometimes sugar cravings indicate a deeper nutritional problem and that is a magnesium deficiency. When magnesium is lacking, the body cannot use food adequately to fuel the cells in the body and this can lead to sugar cravings.
- Restlessness: When you don’t sleep well, this also causes sugar cravings in your body. This happens because when you’re not well-rested, the body wants to eat comforting foods to calm the brain, and eating sugary snacks helps.
- Gut health: Any individual with intestinal problems such as enteritis will crave sweet foods because pathogenic bacteria present in the intestines require sugar to grow, survive and multiply.
- Dehydration: Not drinking enough water can cause sugar cravings in the body. Therefore, sipping a glass of water can also help limit sugar cravings.
How does eating sour foods help reduce sugar cravings?
The acids found in these fruits slow digestion, keep blood sugar levels from spiking, and improve nutrient absorption. Consuming sour foods activates our taste buds in a unique way, providing a refreshing and intense sensation, explains Goyal.
- Balanced flavors: Our taste buds often seek balance, and consuming sour foods can counteract the overly sweet flavors our palates are accustomed to. The contrast between sweet and sour can make sweet dishes seem less appealing.
- Feeling full: Sour foods can create a feeling of fullness and satisfaction. When you eat something sour, it sends a signal to your brain that you’ve eaten something substantial, which can reduce cravings for more, especially sweets.
- Lower sugar: Incorporating sour foods into your diet can help reduce your overall sugar intake. By choosing sour snacks or incorporating sour elements into your meals, you may find yourself less inclined to reach for sugary alternatives.
- Natural sugar: Some sour foods contain natural sugars, like the sugar found in fruit. These natural sugars are less processed and provide a healthier alternative to the refined sugar found in many sweet snacks.
Sour foods to fight sugar cravings!
Here are 5 sour food options to try next time you crave something sweet!
1. Fermented foods
Sauerkraut, kimchi, and yogurt are great foods that help curb sugar cravings. Another advantage of these foods is that they are a source of probiotics that help fight and kill disease-causing bacteria that thrive on sugar.
2. Lemon juice
Sugar cravings are well balanced by drinking a glass of sour lemonade. Additionally, water will help hydrate the body and balance cravings for sweets.
This sweet and sour fruit is an excellent source of vitamin A and vitamin C. It helps curb sugar cravings to a great extent.
Select the Topics you’re interested in and let us customize your feed.
This tropical fruit is not only tart but also delicious and packed with vitamin C. Pineapple is rich in bromelain, an enzyme that can help reduce inflammation and digestion.
This dairy product is rich in probiotics, calcium and protein. You can add honey and fruit to yogurt to enhance the flavor.
#tired #craving #sugar #Eat #sour #food #fight
Image Source : www.healthshots.com